Thursday 30 July 2015

A gesture that I didn't expect


I arrived a bit late because I got lost. It was Tuesday 31st March. Five days ago I had come to England. The day before I had received an email saying that I was invited to a conversational meeting at a bar called Appleby's. I was alone and didn't know anyone. I was a little nervous but determined. I went into the bar through the back door, which leads directly to the pool hall. I wasn't sure that the guys who were playing billiards were members of that event or just local people. I wanted to make sure which were the people in that meeting, so I asked the barman, but he didn't know.
I walk about the bar and I looked at the faces of the customers. I saw a guy who looked like he was from my country, so I got close to his group and I said: "Hi!". One of the girls in the group immediately began to talk to me. I looked around the bar and brought a seat at her side. The girl I was talking to told me she worked for TTPL. Indeed, she was Laura Osman. I felt comfortable right away and start a pleasant conversation among people who were sitting at that table: Miquel, Klara, Mariona and two German girls who went back to their country that week. 
After a while three guys came: Nico, Philip and Marc. Three smiling faces asking me about my life. As there were no more seats, they sat on the floor. It seems a bit silly, but those guys willing to sit on the floor to meet me rather than choosing another more comfortable place in the bar, for me it was a welcome I expected not receive at all.
This post is to thank TTPL for organizing these conversational meetings. Your stay in England is always nicer if you make friends. I especially want to thank the work of Laura for hosting the new people coming for the first time to Appleby's Bar. But I also want to thank those three guys who sat on the floor and welcomed me as a member of their group of friends. Thanks to all the people I've met through TTPL meetings. I felt very well among you. Without you all this wouldn't have been the same.
For all new people coming this week (over 90!) and for all who will come in the future, I hope you feel so welcome in your first meeting as I did. Welcome, guys! 

Marta

No comments:

Post a Comment